Friday, May 29, 2009

Little Little Chunky Star

Grace-Poppy De LaVillaRoy is a blonde female Hovawart. A dual purpose working dog: as a guardian and as a companion. This breed originates from the Hertz and Black Forest regions of Germany but Poppy was born in Saint-Paul (Québec) Canada. She took a plane to join us when she was only 8 weeks old.
Having a dog is a lifelong commitment, so I did a lot of research before deciding on the breed and the breeder. What none of the books told me was how soft Poppy’s fur is.
Over the first two years, I kept Poppy's fur each time she was bathed and brushed, so the fur was superclean and fluffy soft.
My husband asked me what I intend to do with it all...don't know, a little keepsake of some sort.
Finally got round to spin Poppy's fur into Poppy yarn.
I made a thick yarn, about 8 wraps per inch, similar thickness to Aran or worsted weight.
And I made it into a chunky star, Poppy after all is a big girl.
The pattern is actually a snowflake sachet. You can’t see it from the picture but the centre has two layers and an opening in the back so it could be used as a pocket to hold scented stuff. I think I will fill it with some pine cone flakes. Poppy always gets pine sap on her when she goes out into the garden, and more often than not, she smells of pine.
Pattern: Crochet Snowflake Sachets by Annie's Attic (Leaflet No 87S72)







2 comments:

  1. I love that you kept her fur and then spun and knit it! It spun up into some really pretty yarn. I shouldn't be surprised, she is such a pretty dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow~~ amazing


    msemily

    ReplyDelete