Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My Thimble Collection

I think because I use thimble when I do embroidery and hand sewing I keep an eye out for them when we travel overseas and would buy a pretty thimble as a souvenir.

Many years ago my husband returned home after working abroad and surprised me with three beautifully decorated thimbles. He visited Jerusalem one weekend, as he wondered in the old city he saw the thimbles and thought of me.

I showed them to my mother-in-laws when she called round to our house. We were all going whooo and waaa over the owl and eagle shaped thimbles. How unusual - we all said. At Christmas that year, my mother-in-law gave me this special display unit plus a selection of China thimbles as Christmas presents. I loved it and couldn’t get over how thoughtful she was.
Sadly my mother-in-law passed away last year. Whenever I see my thimble collection now they remind me of her and of her kindness.

I added one from Greece when we were on our honeymoon, one from Malaysia, one from Turkey and two from Holland on different visits.

Hubby has picked up four more from his travel across the States. He actually threatened to collect one from each state but I asked him not to because space is limited. There are only 4 places left in the display unit.

Do I use them? Yes, and my workhorse thimble is the top right corner one.

No comments:

Post a Comment