Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Blue Berry Socks

When I want to knit in the rounds, I have always used 4 double pointed knitting needles. They normally sold them in sets of fours in the old days (in Hong Kong and in the UK).

After I moved to the U.S. I started using 5 double pointed knitting needles. Go with the flow, I thought, they come in sets of fives here.

Then I came across a discussion forum in Ravelry about knitting in the rounds with magic loops…Magic? I was intrigued.

It’s high time I learn a new knitting technique. I picked out my pattern for a pair of socks and cast on, knitting from the cuff down.
When it came to the parts where no shaping is involved, I was so tempted to move the socks to double pointed needles because I know I could do the knitting faster, but I persisted with this magic loops method.
I didn’t expect the feel good factor when I finished knitting; both socks came off the needles together. It was great.
I must say, I like this magic loops business, think I will use this technique more often from now on.

* * * * * *
Materials: Double Knitting Yarn
Knitting needle size: 3.25mm
Patterns: Berry Season (page 32) from 2-at-a-time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes


No comments:

Post a Comment