Friday, April 17, 2009

From Lady Bird to Little Lamb

When I was 15 years old I chose Needle Craft as one of my subjects to study in school back in England. I had a wonderful teacher. She taught us sewing, embroidery, cross stitch, crewel work, macramé, appliqué…basically any needle craft you wanted to learn, all you had to do was to talk to her and she would show you. She was one of those rare teachers whom didn’t simply teach you to follow a pattern, but she would show you how to create your own design. That’s probably why I love needle work so much now; it has been so creative, fun and rewarding right from day one.

I remembered we had to do a final exam for this class: a 3 hours written exam plus a submission of three practical projects. My three projects were a beaded corn-on-the-cob picture, a round embroidered cushion and a patchwork ladybird toy. I received good marks for all my work and passed my exam but they never returned my corn-on-the-cob picture. The cushion was so worn out, I might have binned it. I don’t know where it is now. And the ladybird? Poor thing, it has been with me all these years; I used it as a little cushion to support my lower back when I sit down on my rocking chair. Time has taken its toll. I am sending ladybird to retirement.
In comes the little lamb, got him the other day, so cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment